Thursday, December 11, 2008

TOWN MASJIDS VS VILLAGE MASJIDS Part 1

First and foremost, I recieved an e-mail stating that we should not use MOSQUE as it means "mosquito". How true, I am not sure. But what i want to share with you is fairly important to be thought. We are blessed to live in a Muslim country that the government is so concerned to build a lot of masjids for the Muslims to perform their daily prayers and to do other relevant activities. Sadly to say I have to say this. Sometimes the building of new masjids is fairly wrong. Why do I blatantly say this? There is a masjid in my village that was built a long time ago. I still remember that I could see the pillars and the wall planks had traces of chisel on them. It shows that the carpenters used traditional ways to prepare them. The windows had special wooden mechanical stuff to make them swing. It shows how difficult it was to build the masjid. Then look at the minaret, the "mimbar" and many other things. Suddenly some people decided to change the wall with cement, tiles, dark mirrors and windows. They tore down the wall and pillars. Our children will not be able to see the "old" masjid. I pity those people who sweated tears and blood to erect the masjid. They dragged timbers from the jungle and trimmed them into planks and pillars. How about this, the "pool" (or kolah) is replaced with plastic or metal water taps. It is hard to find any traditional old masjid nowadays. There is one behind Masjid Selat, Bota but the condition is very delapidated. How I wish people would maintain the original look, condition and I am sure the next generation will appreciate it.... Is it really necessary to change everthing. Just maintain, and improve the lackings.

No comments: